by Kathy Sutherland
In Cornerstone Kids, we pray that all of our children at Living Rock Church will enter into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. We plant the seeds of Truth, water them, and allow God to grow them in His perfect timing. During this season of the remembrance of Christ’s death and resurrection, I encourage parents to attend the Good Friday and Easter Sunday services with your child and explain the elements of communion, why Christ had to die on the cross, and what it means now that He has risen. Engage your child in conversations about how Jesus wants to be their forever friend. Your child may be ready to make a decision to ask Christ to be their Savior. Here are some discussion points taken from Leading Kids to Jesus written by David Staal to help you prepare for the potentially life-changing conversation that might take place. A child’s decision to follow Jesus happens in God’s timing, so remain open to the possibility it may occur now or later. Make sure you are ready at any moment.
- Ask your child if he or she has ever done anything wrong. (You may want to share something that you have done wrong.)
- Tell your child everyone has done wrong things. Remind him or her that when we do things that are wrong, we should be in trouble and we deserved to be punished. But Jesus loves us SO much He chose to be in trouble (take our punishment) for us and all the wrong things that we do. To do this, He died on a cross. This is how he took the punishment for us.
- Talk about how much Jesus loves your child. Discuss how hard it must have been for Jesus to take the punishment for all of us.
- Tell your child Jesus was dead for only three days, and then He came back to life. Jesus wants to be with us all the time as our Forever Friend.
- This is a good time to share how you began your relationship with Jesus. Ask your child if he or she would like to be Forever Friends with Jesus.
If you believe your child understands salvation and seems ready to take the step of starting a relationship with Jesus, discuss the following:
- We need to ADMIT that we do wrong things and ask Jesus to forgive us.
- Then, we need to tell Jesus that we BELIEVE He died for us.
- Finally, each of us must CHOOSE to follow and obey Jesus, and be His Forever Friend.
- Then pray together allowing your child to admit their sins, ask for forgiveness, receive Christ as their Savior, and choose to follow and obey Jesus.
Tell your child that he or she is now part of God’s family. Please let me know when your child has made this decision for the first time as I have a gift for your child to further their walk with Jesus.