This past March, I had the opportunity to attend the NEXT Conference and hear from speaker student ministry veteran Heather Flies. She led a session called the “7 Tests for Healthy Dating Relationships”. Here are the highlights:
- The PUKE test. Has your significant other seen you at your worst?
- The TARGET test. Can you go to Target and simply have fun together?
- The FRIENDS AND FAMILY test. Can your significant other interact one-on-one with the members of your family?
- The JESUS test. Is your significant other passionate about following Jesus?
- The PIE test. Does the larger piece always go towards the other person in the relationship? In other words, do they willingly sacrifice, even in the little things?
- The G-TIME test. Your significant other cannot be everything you need. Are you both experience healthy friendships?
- The NO-TOUCH test. Don’t touch the person you are dating for 30 days. Zero. Notta. Nothing. Three things will happen:
- You will be sucking face 48 hours later (unhealthy)
- You will be bored out of your mind (unhealthy)
- Your relationship will grow and you will continue to enjoy being around each other (healthy)
These are the 7 tests for healthy dating relationships. If you are currently in a dating relationship, I strongly encourage you to try these out.
by Pastor Ethan Keller